Thursday, April 02, 2009

Tricksters

The opportunity for doing mischief is found a hundred times a day, and of doing
good once in a year. Voltaire


Kafka wants us to let him out. Because we don't, when he thinks we are not looking, he places his two front paws on the kitchen counter and grabs a kitchen towel. When we take this off his mouth, he pulls the tablecloth and my coffee spills. Minutes later, he pushes the door to a forbidden room and runs off with my mom's knitting.

It's 6 AM. My partner wakes me up with this short sentence: "Kafka took off." I leave the house in my pajamas, screaming OMG to myself. I walk quickly up the street trying to spot him in the dark, but I don't need to look for long. He approaches me, wagging his stub, feeling excited
at this new way of finding fun and lets me leash him after evading my partner for more than 20 minutes.

I'm at an off-leash park with Kafka. He spots a small dog in his line of sight and he crouches. I know what's next: he pounces and growls. The owner screams for me to leash him, but it is impossible, the small dog is running in circles and Kafka is trying to flatten him agains the
ground with his paws.

He meets another dog, a sweet Rhodesian Ridgeback, at the park. They play for a while, and I talk to the other dog's owner. After a while, Kafka plops down on the ground, tired. The other dog stands close to his owner wagging his tail and Kafka decides to get up and move closer. His tail proves too tempting to Kafka, who decides to take a bite off it as he passes. The Ridgeback succesfully avoids a bite by sticking his posterior between his owner's legs.

We get inside my truck for a ride to the park, but then my new ABBA CD, sticking out of the player, catches his eye. In less time than I can say Kafka, he has bitten a quarter-size chunk off it, and before I know it, he's swallowed it, because I can't find it anywhere inside the cabin. I'm reduced to scanning his poop in the hope that he migh expel it in the next few days. We take him to the vet for x-rays and discover he's also swallowed part of a corn cob that he's fished out of the trash.

No comments: