Thursday, April 09, 2009

Voices and Noises

Schnauzers have a tendency to be "vocal," that is, make a friendly growling noise at people or dogs as they pass by, call for attention, demand food or a chew stick, etc. Each one of these has its own distinct noise and pitch. Paul Whitaker

I will not mention body language because this is a post about vocalizations. I had read SSs were talkative, but I had no idea we would be holding entire conversations. At almost twelve months, I can talk to Kafka in sentences. I imagine he holds out for the key works he is able to distinguish in each sentence, then he responds. He uses sound only in extreme circumstances, preferring body language most of the time. The extreme circumstances would apply if I am preventing him from doing something he wants very badly, or if I am asleep. He does the same with dogs, being at his most vocal when he is wrestling or inviting someone to play, to the point where many other owners who don't know schnauzers ask if he is aggressive. 

Here are a select few from Kafka:

High to low pitch Nguuu... You've blocked my access. Shame on you.
Bow wow wowowowowowowowowowow     Stranger on the premises, everyone to their stations!
With short pauses: Raff! Raff! Raff! C'mon, play with me!
With no pauses: Grrrruff, grrrruff, grrrruff!    How could you show me something this scary?
Huh!     Wake up monkeys, I have to pee.
Low ruff     Didn't you hear me? I have to pee.
Low Grrrrrrr     I'm focused on winning this tug-of-war.
High pitch bark     There's a critter I have to kill. Let me go!
Long, loud Sigh    I'll lay on this floor for now, since everything around here is so boring.
Loud Ruff!  I have to do number two. NOW.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

If you would like an alternative to randomly picking up girls and trying to figure out the right thing to say...

If you'd rather have women hit on YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded pubs and night clubs...

Then I encourage you to play this eye-opening video to learn a strange secret that can literally get you your very own harem of beautiful women just 24 hours from now:

FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM...